Wednesday 26 October 2022

Mentored? The Messi Experience

I have watched Messi play football and his quick moves with the round leather ball always gives me goosebumps. Some players of the game of football that I have admired while growing up have been those whose pattern of play have always been mixed or infused with a lot of entertainment.

The Nigeria football team offered me such taste always whenever they played. Hol'up my dear, am not talking about the current team o. Am talking about the team that had players like, Austin Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu, Joseph Yobo, Taiye Taiwo, a good no nonsense defender.

Like the folktales we hear at night under the moonlight, is the game of football whenever there is a national or international competition and we have to gather together at the community viewing center to enjoy massive entertainment under the names I have mentioned earlier.

We grew up watching European teams play and of course, there are names that offer all that football embodies. Manchester United and Chelsea have always been the reigning team around the community where I grow up. You will not believe that this two teams where dubbed some cult like attributes in the community where rivals fight each other when the match result do not go their way.

The first school bag  I had bought that had a football club's logo on it had a club logo that wasn't popular in my town. And to tell you that I have not known much about this club, I have to start doing researches as to who they were but I was satisfied that I am starting with a club that is not associated with nuisance and agbero-like behavior in the district. I found out that one of the key players in this my new found club was a great playmaker, his entertainment in the game is top notch. I got hooked and oh, I have found a new home.

This player as I later found out will go on to win the prestigious France football award - the Ballon d'Or seven times. I discovered what I crave in football in Lionel Messi. The dance he makes with his left foot is what I wanted in any football player and he does this in an effortless manner.

He made a shocking switch to Paris last two seasons and has continued to make an incredible impact in creating goals in an entertaining way. In comes Mbappe. A great talent already in the team when Messi came into the club. My piece today is centered on the relationship that has emerged from this gathering of talents while not forgetting Neymar Jnr. This post is about what I perceived from the dressing room and may not be factual since I do not have a first hand info into activities there.

It has seemed that Mbappe has not stopped complaining. has done this almost always as he has seemed to be that outspoken on in the team. However, I tend to wonder if the Messi experience has ever robbed of on him at all. As one who is currently sandwiched between two great players in Messi and Neymar always always the one coming up with negative vibes about the club or players with every little disagreement. I am one who thinks that having to be around men that have traversed the road you are trying to ply will give you a fair advantage.

This position is borne out of the fact that Messi in that position having nothing to prove again to the system will be serving as a enabler to Mbappe rather than a competition. And so one would wonder why this seems not to be happening. People have said that if one needs to make progress in their chosen field that their is need to find a mentor and stay teachable. It is true. Experience is the greatest teacher they said. And one need to understand that it is never said that the experience must be personal. It is wise to gather experience from others, it shows you are pragmatic and will always be one step ahead in the game.

In every setting, there are leaders who have navigated the rough waters of their field and their wisdom borne out of their personal experience will be a shining light in dark places to those coming behind. Been able to gather these experiences will also depend on your willingness to learn. You will do this when you unlearn that experiences has to be personal and subject your thoughts to that higher school of thought that experiences must not be personal.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love those comments, keep them coming in. Contrary opinions are welcomed, no bullying!!!